This is an email I sent out to an amazing dude at our church that is interested in Revolve, our Preteen Ministry for 4th and 5th graders. It explains so much about what we are doing in Revolve that is working. Keep in mind that Revolve hasn’t even existed more than a year, and we are still changing and evolving . . .
Hey dude! Here’s some info about Revolve . . .
start here: http://www.gcomchurch.com/preteens
The reason we created REVOLVE is to allow 4th/5th Graders the chance to revolve around Jesus for a year and then to revolve around the biblical idea of community for a year. We have also introduced a serve component which is working really well . . . the three components that we revolve around, Jesus, Community, and Serving, will help our preteens transition into the Mix (our middle school ministry). So now when a child leaves our Kids Ministry and enters The Mix they will have a firm understanding of who they are in Jesus, they will have a better understanding of discussion-based small groups where authentic relationships can be formed, and they will have the option to continue serving in Kids Min on Sundays since their main service, The Mix (which is designed for them), will be on Wednesday night.
Here’s the flow of a day in REVOLVE:
1. Kids start out in the REVOLVE area, playing video games and hanging out (we call this Chill Time). During Chill Time leaders are hanging out with the kids in a non-structured fashion . . . great way to build authentic relationships.
2. After about 10 minutes the kids rally together and a leader reminds them that they are about to serve at Grace Community Church by heading over to Cross Street (K thru 3rd) and helping out in Cross Street Large Group. They help with games and by being actively engaged during worship (setting the example for the younger ones) . . .
3. After that, they head back to the REVOLVE hallway and begin their own large group time, where they watch a video we filmed or hear from a leader in person . . .
4. Next, they break up into small groups and have meaningful discussion about life, Jesus, and living in community . . .
5. When small groups are finished the kids and leaders can go back into chill time and hang out together.
During the Summer Revolve shuts down. 4th and 5th graders join K thru 3rd graders in full on Large Group and continue to serve . . .
Revolve will start back up in August. At that time I’ll get in touch with you and see if maybe you might want to start serving in REVOLVE.
Kids Pastor (Birth-5th Grade)
office 931-647-6800 ext. 1013
Cross Street Large Group (K thru 3rd)
REVOLVE Small Groups
REVOLVE Large Group
1. As far as curriculum, we are using NavPress’s Student Life Bible Study for Middle School. We’ve found that 4th and 5th Graders want to dive into God’s Word and get super deep. This curriculum allows us to challenge our preteens without confusing them . . .
2. We view preteen ministry as a transition ministry . . . in everything we do the goal is to prepare them for Middle School and High School ministries . . .
3. We give parents a take-home tool called a Parent Page, so that they can carry on the discussion throughout the week. What happens at home is WAY more important than what happens at church, and we want to empower parents to lead strong by giving them this awesome tool every Sunday.